Friday 5 October 2012

I am not my Tribe; I am Tribe Kenya

Yesterday I walked into the immigration office,
I had an important application to make,
It is my fifth trip here since I lost my ID,
But because I don’t speak your language,
You cannot understand my predicament,
I am not my tribe.

Yesterday I attended a political rally,
It has been five years and the “big people,”
Are at it again trying to woe my vote,
All they said was how we should have one
Of our own to be in charge of the nation,
I am not my tribe.

Yesterday I was at a job interview,
The human resource manager greeted me
But I could not respond because the language he
Used was not the one my mother taught me
I failed the interview because I was rude,
I am not my tribe.

Yesterday a girl took me home to her parents,
I had to answer tough questions like
Why I had to search this far away for a wife,
They already made up their minds that
I am not good enough because I am different,
I am not my tribe.

Yesterday I boarded a matatu on my way home,
The two passengers sitting next to me,
Went on and on about how people from a certain tribe,
Are hot tempered and can easily hack others to death,
There conversation cut deep and wounded my soul,
I am not my tribe

Courtesy of UKABILA ZI SOCIETY (www.ukabilazi.blogspot.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment